Basic Definition Of Test Case:
How many of you knew that In various contexts of Software Testing, test cases mean the chain of actions needed to test a particular feature or functionality?
Particularly, the test case details the steps, prerequisites, data and postconditions important for confirming a feature.
It puts out certain variables required by QAs for comparing the real expected results to conclude whether the feature is working properly or not. Test Case components talk about the input, execution and expected results. It informs about what they need to do, how they need to do it and the kind of results that would be acceptable.
The Main Motive Of Writing Test Cases:
- To confirm the particular features and functions of the software.
- To properly guide testers through their everyday practical work.
- To record the list of steps that have been taken and which can be again gone through whenever a bug pops up.
- To send a blueprint for all upcoming projects and testers so that they don’t require to begin working from the start.
- To aid in finding out the usability problems and design the gaps at an initial stage.
- To allow the new testers and devs to pick up testing fast, even if they join in between a functioning project.
Basic Test Case Format
- ID for Test Case
- Scenario for Test
Steps for Test
- Data for Test
- Awaited Results
- Real Results
- Status of the Test- Pass/ Fail
Writing Test Cases Must Include The Following:
A sensible description of the requirement and test process details linked to test setup, a version of the software put under Test, the operating system hardware, the date, the time, the data points, pre-required stuff, alternatives to the pre-required stuff, if they exist etc.
Most Popular Features Of Test Cases:
It Gets Revised & Updated Regularly
Software Requirements can keep altering based on the alterations in business priorities or the customer choices. Whenever the needs change, the test cases need to be changed.
Finding out the perfect bugs and the debugging steps also demand changes in the test cases.
It Mostly Involves Clustering
Test Cases in one test scenario should be run in a particular sequence or group. In this situation, certain prerequisites of a single test case will apply to other test cases placed in the same order.
It Will Most Often Be Interdependent
Normally, test cases might depend on each other, particularly for layered applications with more than 1 tier of business logic.
It is Mostly Used By The Testers As Well As The Developers.
Test Cases are of great help for both groups. Just like, whenever the devs fix the bugs, the test cases can be of great use for copying the major bug. Did you know that in a Test-Driven Development (TDD), the devs build test cases to make business logic go through the different test scenarios and begin writing code?
Go through this superb blog called 5 popular bug tracking tools for software testing to find out more about these tools.
Examples Of Test Cases
Let us construct examples of test cases based on a certain scenario. Here we have an example of a test case.
The ID of the Test Case:
The Scenario of the Test:
To authenticate a proper user login on Gmail.com.
Steps of the Test:
- The user moves out to Gmail.com.
- The user puts a properly registered mail address in the’ email’ field.
- After that, the user clicks on the Next button.
- Then, the user enters the registered password.
- After which, the user puts the registered password and clicks on Sign-in.
- Prerequisites: A Gmail ID registered with a special username and password.
Required Browser Name:
The required browser is Chrome v 86. Device:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7.
The Required Test Data:
This should be a Legitimate username and password.
The Expected Outcome is:
As soon as the username and password are typed, the web page gets redirected to the user’s inbox, showing and highlighting the new emails at the extreme top of it.
This is how it’s expected.
The Test Status:
Pass or Fail: Pass
What Are The Best Practices For Writing Test Cases?
- Focus on clarity and transparency. Clear your doubts and be assertive in talking about the requirements of the tester and the results that they should get.
- Keep your focus on the final-user requirements while jotting down the sample test cases and map the test cases to show each aspect of the user’s journey. Please make use of the specifications doc and the requirements doc for it.
- Prevent any repetition. If you want more than one Test to be implemented with a similar test case, you must use the Test Case Id to refer to the needed test case.
- Do not forget to keep the test steps minimal. It should not exceed 10 to 15 steps. Keep your target on achieving the highest test coverage. Whereas 100% of the test coverage can rarely be achieved, an extremely high percentage can be attained by using the perfect strategies.
- Make self-cleaning test cases. This means that the test cases should return the Test Environment to a crystal clear, pre-test condition. Tests must not leave any remains in the environment when they are done with. This is an essential element of Configuration Management.
- Build Test Cases for tests that give back similar results despite the person who runs them. Make sure that the tests have self-standing capacity. As soon as the test cases are shaped, corresponding tests should be run on actual browsers, operating systems and devices. Remember that device fragmentation is an essential concern for each tester and developer.
All websites must work smoothly on different device-browser-Operating System combinations. With more than 9000 special devices used to access the internet worldwide, every software should be optimized for various configurations, screen resolutions, and viewports.
No emulator or simulator can copy the actual user situations in this condition. Software must be tested on all devices to function in conditions like low battery, poor network, incoming calls, etc. If an in-house lab cannot be accessed, you can choose a cloud-based testing option providing actual devices.
The team of professionals at top-rated software testing company HikeQA can write the perfect test cases. Talk to us for any help. For more Test case examples, format and tips, keep checking our blogs section.