QA and Software testing is conducted to ensure that the developed application works in the same way as it was designed to and there are no unnecessary system glitches or unwanted bugs and errors in it. There are many types of Software and Application Testing that we use for mobile and website – based products. In this blog we will discuss two of the most important and basic type of Software testing i.e. Unit Testing and Integration Testing.
After each module or component of the application are developed, they are then checked and tested by the developer for its functionality. It is performed on the smallest module of the code known as ‘a unit’ to test whether it is performing the functions that it was developed to do. Unit Testing checks a solo component of software or application.
- As Unit Testing is done to test just a single component or module, its test coverage is less as compared to Integration testing.
- It is not related or dependent on any code other than the unit being tested.
- Unit testing is the primary testing that is conducted by the developer himself.
- The detailed code structure is visible after conducting Unit testing.
- Unit Testing is done to ensure the functionality of individual modules.
- It is a type of white Box Testing and Automated Software Testing.
- Unit Testing begins with the specification of individual components and modules.
- It is not sub divided into different Unit Testing types.
When all the components of the application are developed, they are integrated with each other and then tested to build over all product. It’s a type of testing to check and assure that various distinct pieces of the modules are working great with each other. Therefore, the overall behavior of the modules is well thought – out in Integration Software Testing.
- Its Test coverage is wider and larger as compared to Unit testing.
- It has several dependencies on various outside factors such as database etc.
- Integration testing is carried after Unit testing is completed.
- Whole integration structure of the modules is visible after conducting Integration testing.
- Integration testing is done to perceive the issues that can arise when different modules are combined with each other.
- It can be considered both, the Black Box Testing and the White Box Testing type.
- Integration testing begins with the specifications of the overall application interface.
- It is sub divided into Bottom – Up Integration and Top – Down Integration.
To conclude with:
Be it Unit Testing or Integration testing, both are essential and should be done phase wise to assess and check the functionality and working of your product. The test results of different modules that are obtained from Unit testing are used to fix the issues that arise in the Integration testing phase.
HikeQA is a professional Software Testing Company with an incredible portfolio and offers wide range of Manual and Automated Testing, Performance Testing, Regression testing, User Experience Testing, QA and Outsourced testing, Mobile Application Testing Solutions etc. for every kind of product.